Old City Cemetery (The Confederate Cemetery)

Micaja Norfleet Eley donated land in 1849 for the Baptist Church and an adjoining public cemetery. The oldest cemetery in Union Springs. It served the city for 35 years. The Confederate Monument at the center of the cemetery was unveiled at the intersection of Prairie and Hardaway streets on March 29, 1895 by the Ladies Memorial Association in 1973 it was moved to its present location.

Locally known as the Confederate Cemetery, it includes the tombstones of some twenty-two Confederate soldiers. Below the Confederate soldiers grave sites is a marker which reads, “Union Prisoners of War. 1861 – 1865. Victims of Plague.”

GC1Z8KQ_001

GC1Z8KQ_004 GC1Z8KQ_005

Advertisements